Ties Between Security Forces and Boko Haram?

Posted on September 28, 2011 - No comments


The Federal Government is now investigating several security chiefs under suspicion of having alliances with Boko Haram.

The suspicion arose after Ali Tishau, who was under police custody for allegations of terrorism, and a follower of Boko Haram, was handed over to the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA).  Tishau then appeared on African Independent Television (AIT) accusing the police of “hiding bomb warnings from the Presidency”.

A document made available to the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) contained information of Tishua’s ties to Boko Haram, causing the National Security Council (NSC) to order his arrest on December 20th, 2010.

Consequently, after being duly interrogated by the police and arraigned at the Chief Magistrate Court 1, Abuja on March 28th, 2011, Tishau was granted bail. His prosecutors re-arraigned him at the FCT High Court on 7th May 2011 when new evidence further demonstrating his involvement with Boko Haram surfaced. He was granted bail again.

Owing to deteriorating security situations on a national scale, Mr. Tishau was arrested by the police to face further prosecutions.

An anonymous source told us that “the Chief of Defense Intelligence, Major General Babagana Mongonu, had earlier sent a written request to the Police force, to hand over the suspect to the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) for the agency’s conclusion of its investigations of Tishau”.

Inspector general of Police (IGP) Hafiz Ringim further ratified this request on July, 27th 2011 that the suspect be returned to the Police in line with normal security practice.

When Tishua appeared on a private television network, the anonymous source said, “it is now clear that some top shots are working for interests other than that of the nation”.

Although the police force has made efforts towards absolving itself of the allegations leveled by Tishau, the public’s confidence in the security operatives is fast eroding.

President Goodluck Jonathan replaced the DIA Chief with Major General Sani Yakubu Audu. Jonathan’s order experienced some resistance until he maintained a resolute stand.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Olusola Amore, the Force Public Relations Officer issued a signed statement to the press that the suspect, Mr. Ali Tishau was released to a sister organization for investigation for information and intelligence sharing.

“To date, he has not been returned to the Police. The alleged panic mood among the security chiefs is the figment of imagination of those peddling insinuations, as security agencies we’re building synergy to contain the present security challenges facing the nation”, Amores added.

Leave a Comment